Our Next Event: Alts Expo - Dec 13th
Setting up a Roth IRA is a great retirement planning move. But many investors could get a lot more out of their Roth by venturing beyond the “big box” providers.
Carrie Cook, CEO at Preferred Trust, joins Michael Johnston to discuss the opportunities that exist with self directed IRAs, and the specific restrictions around shares of a startup company.
Watch On YouTube
- Overview of the self directed IRA.
- Summary of the asset classes that can and cannot be held in a SDIRA.
- History of the Roth IRA, and risks that exist in the current environment to diminish the tax advantaged status.
- Issues with holding startup shares in a Roth IRA.
- Importance of having a custodian who understands the rules and will help investors avoid triggering a prohibited transaction.
- Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield
- Lord of the Roths: How Tech Mogul Peter Thiel Turned a Retirement Account for the Middle Class Into a $5 Billion Tax-Free Piggy Bank
Today’s Guest: Carrie Cook, Preferred Trust
About The Tax Efficient Investor Podcast
On the Tax Efficient Investor podcast, we show you how to protect, grow, and transfer your wealth by implementing tax-advantaged investment strategies. Host Michael Johnston demystifies tax strategies that are favored by the most successful and sophisticated investors, including 1031 exchanges, IRA & 401k plans, HSA accounts, trusts, real estate, and more.